CHA starts tomorrow….and since I’ll be at the Daniel Smith booth, I figured I’d show you some of the samples I took with me!
Watercolor Wizard: New Daniel Smith Grounds and Watercolors
Daniel Smith makes grounds – basically gessos that turn almost any surface into a watercolor surface! In the video below I show you how I added texture to mine since I like cold press and especially rough cold press papers…you can give it less texture too, customizing it any way you want. Watch the video below or click HERE to see it in HD on YouTube.
Doesn’t it look beautiful on the gold too?
The inside of the card carries the sentiment on these cards…
I covered a chipboard box – it had a pattern on it so I covered it in inexpensive gesso first, til I had a basic white surface to add the pearlized ground to. Then painted poppies!
I wanted to see how this worked on tin – it was great!
And this candle came out beautifully. Be careful with this, because the grounds could possibly exude a smell you might not like…I’ll try burning it sometime and see what happens. Didn’t want to try that before the show 🙂And I also had some of the black ground, so used that on a teensy tiny clay pot, using some of the iridescent colors.
Since these are new, they aren’t in-store yet…but they’re coming soon!
Below are links to the supplies I’ve used for today’s project. Compensated affiliate links may used, which means if you make a purchase I receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. I truly appreciate your support toward the costs of running this blog! Read more.
- Stampingbella, Wiz (appears to be no longer available)
- Gold Ground —- (link coming as soon as it’s available)
- Pearlescent Ground —- (link coming as soon as it’s available)
- New Daniel Smith colors — (links coming as soon as it’s available)
- Aussie Red Gold
- Raw Sienna Light
- Burnt Sienna Light
- Paynes Blue Gray
- Quinacridone Lilac
- Rose Madder Permanent
- Neenah Classic Crest Solar White, 25 pk
- Ranger Ink Blending Tool, 1 Inch Round
- ShurTech Yellow Frog Delicate Multisurface Masking Tape
- ShurTech Green Frog Multisurface Masking Tape
- Ranger Archival Ink Pad, Jet Black
- Black Velvet Watercolor Brushes, Short Round 8
- My Favorite Things Die-namics, Wonky Stitched Square STAX