I know many of you have HEAT in June…at my house my furnace still comes on in the morning! I wish summer would get here, but in the meantime, here’s some wintry inspiration for those who need to cool off a bit!
This came about because of the new Colored Pencil Winter Wonderland class – when I got out my Gamsol I noticed it was below 1/4 full! While that’s plenty for a few drawings, I always panic when things start looking low…and I started looking around at other colored pencil artist sites to see what solvents they like – and picked out a few to try.
And now…the Video
Spoiler alert: Gamsol was not immediately surpassed by any of these in performance, especially not by price.
Watch the video below or click to watch it on YouTube.
Sketch out a bunch of snowballs – stacking 2 seemed to be cuter than 3 to me, as well as easier. Color up the blobs with blue – I started with dry blending from powder first, then added the solutions to each snowman.
Make hats and scarves for them! Different styles, materials, textures. Have fun! And don’t forget to use the leftover pigment on the brush to make the fluffy pompoms on hats.
Then add mittens – and give them things to hold! How cute are they with their art supplies?
Some product may be provided by manufacturers for review and use. Compensated affiliate links are here at no cost to you. If you choose to shop using my EH (Ellen Hutson) links, please accept cookies on that site in order to retain the link to my blog, or that compensation does not happen for me. I appreciate your support of my work with your purchases! Full affiliate and product disclosure | My trusted partners in art
- Polychromos pencils
- Stonehenge sketchbooks (6 x 12 used here, 7×7 in class)
- You can also use a Stonehenge Drawing Paper pad, 9 x 12: Amazon – BLICK
- Cheap kids brushes from the drugstore
- Blending solvents with price comparison:
- Gamblin Gamsol $2.97 per ounce
- US Art Supply Oil Medium Odorless Thinner $3.97 per ounce
- Winsor and Newton Sansodor $3.40 per ounce
- Winsor and Newton Drying Poppy Oil $4.14per ounce
- Linseed Oil from my Lowes store (probably not the good stuff!) $.03 per ounce – the Winsor and Newton Refined Linseed Oil on Amazon is $1.73 per ounce