My Inktense pencils haven’t gotten much love lately – so today they get to come out to play! I had a question recently about what paper is best for watercolor pencils and is it the same for Inktense, so it was time to do a side by side test so you can decide for yourself!
Compensated affiliate links may be used – that means if you make a purchase using my links, I receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you for your support of my work on this blog! Read more.
Watch the video below or click HERE to see it in HD on YouTube.
The differences become obvious to me as I’m coloring – and hopefully you were able to see them too!
I made quick swatches of some colors I selected; Inktense pencil leads often look VERY different from their color. It’s one reason I prefer my Albrecht Durer pencils, they’re more intuitive than Inktense.
This is the Canson XL. Smoother blending, but the color isn’t as rich.
On Arches Cold Press, the color is stronger, and there’s a little texture present; some of that is the paper, and a little might be pencil that didn’t break down in water, but I think most of it is water.
This one has a few changes: background added, doctor and nurse swapped positions left/right, and I colored it with Albrecht Durer watercolor pencils!
I am excited to finally have all the numbers crunched from the World Watercolor Month donations – and between the auction and all the watercolor classes purchased, we raised $1,944!!!!! I sent in the money last night to the Dreaming Zebra Foundation – with my GREAT THANKS TO ALL OF YOU for supporting a good cause!!!
Paintings are going out in the mail today!
If you missed it – please do go see the video from Saturday! Response has begun to come in….and I want to be sure everyone knows about it!
- Bedside Manner, My Favorite Things Stamps
- Bedside Manner, My Favorite Things Die-Namics
- Call the Shots, My Favorite Things Clear Stamps
- Call the Shots By Birdie Brown, My Favorite Things Die-Namics
- Derwent Inktense Pencils:
Set of 72
Set of 24
Set of 36
Set of 12
- Arches Cold Press Watercolor Paper Pad 9×12
- Canson XL Watercolor Paper Pad 9×12
- Silver Brush Black Velvet Watercolor Brushes, Short Round 8
- A2 Stitched Rectangle STAX Set 2, My Favorite Things Die-Namics
- Scotch Foam Mounting Tape
- Versafine Onyx Black Ink