It’s that time of the year: when Pantone releases their Color of the Year and Palette Explorations (colorways we can be inspired by!) I’ll be doing a series on the color, I’m not sure how long it’ll run but I have a lot to say. Ha!
The color for this year is Classic Blue…Instilling calm, confidence, and connection, this enduring blue hue highlights our desire for a dependable and stable foundation on which to build as we cross the threshold into a new era
Supplies for this project are linked at the end of this post. Compensated affiliate links may be used at no cost to you.
TIPS FOR USING COLORWAYS
Colorways are groups of colors used on an art piece, or in decorating. Think about a living room with walls of one color, a sofa of another, and accent throw pillows in another. Play around with the percentage of a space or art piece that a color takes up, you can change up how that color combination looks in infinite ways!
- You don’t need to use ALL colors in any suggested grouping. Often just focusing on 3 or 4 is more than enough; they usually provide many more than you need.
- Choose a main color that will dominate your art. Then a secondary and an accent. You might have two accents, but that’s about all I’d recommend! It’s easy to go overboard.
- Accent colors POP. They can often be complements to the main color – opposites on the color wheel.
Watercolor Pencil, left, and watercolor, right. (Just love the FIRE on that one!)
Polychromos pencils on the left, Copic markers on the right. (Video for that is linked at the end of this post.)
Coloring full charts is not really recommended; these are for IDEAS of colors to try together, not for detailed color comparisons. But for those who insist (lol I know you’re out there), here’s a blank chart to fill in yourself. You can use my colors for reference below – or go invent your own colorways to try!
Each of my pages is below, or you can download a pdf to print them all.
Note that I’m not putting these in the shop since they’re a once-a-year thing; it’ll just be on the blog.
Which of the colorways do you want me to play with? What will YOU play with? Let me know in the comments!
Compensated affiliate links may be used – that means if you make a purchase using my links, I receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you for your support of my work on this blog! Read more.
- Solar White – 25 pk, Neenah Classic Crest Cardstock
- Copic B28 – Royal Blue, Sketch Marker
- Prussian Blue, DANIEL SMITH Extra Fine Watercolors
- Blueprint Sketch, Ranger Distress Marker
- Deep Blue (565), Tombow Dual Brush Pens
- 037 – Cornflower Blue, ZIG Clean Color Real Brush Marker
- Albrecht Dürer Watercolor Pencil Tin Set of 60, Faber-Castell —- (Contains 151 Helio Blue Reddish)
- Polychromos Pencil Tin Set of 60, Faber-Castell —- (Contains 151 Helio Blue Reddish)
- Set of 150, Prismacolor Premier Colored Pencils —- (Contains 902)
- Space Out By Brandi Kincaid, Essentials By Ellen Clear Stamps