National Craft Month…who’s in to celebrate?? If you follow my social media you know I often do a monthly series…it helps give me something to focus on creatively, sometimes challenging but always practicing and learning. Last month was all #blackhistorysketches – what fun to explore portraiture!
This month I thought it would be fun to play with a lot of the stuff I’ve bought over the years that sits in drawers, unused and unloved. Products that could be super interesting either together or separately, with or without gessos or grounds – and just make some time for PLAY! So today I’m showing off my cute little play journal where I’ll try out a snippet of a bunch of different things. See the list in the supplies for some ideas on stuff I may use – but don’t hold me to it. LOL.
Compensated affiliate links may be used – that means if you make a purchase using my links, I receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you for your support of my work on this blog! Read more.
Watch the video below or click HERE to see it in HD on YouTube.
These (plus transparent) have been in my drawer for eons. I checked on some other gessos and uhm…..a few are dry as bones. But hey, I’m cleaning stuff out, right?
I don’t use my shiny Daniel Smith paints very much – so today seemed like a day to jump in and get rolling. These colors are Duochrome Emerald , Duochrome Hibiscus , Duochrome Cabo Blue ,Duochrome Arctic Fire , Iridescent Jade .
My pretty little book cover!
Whatever size paper you start out with, fold it to create 4 panels across, 4 down, then cut it like this.
The whole thing should be one serpentine piece of paper, then do a zig zag fold to create the book!
In case you need any crafty stuff, enjoy the sale this weekend:
Used in creating this book and cover:
- Paper: I’m using Stonehenge Drawing Paper (half of a sheet size) but you can make a book from a sheet of watercolor paper any large piece of paper. Best bought from your local art store, usually, shipping can be nuts, most places add on a surcharge.
- Cover: made of the backing on a pad of 9×12 Arches.
- Be Creative Tape, 12mm (1/2″)
DANIEL SMITH Watercolor Grounds:
- Mars Black 16 oz. —- 4 oz.
- Titanium White 16 oz. —- 4 oz.
- Buff Titanium 16 oz. —- 4 oz.
- Transparent 4 oz.
DANIEL SMITH Watercolors:
Silver Brush Black Velvet Watercolor Brushes:
Other items I may be using this month…yes I have a ton of stuff!
- All the Picket Fences girls
- All the Mondo flowers
- Lawn Fawn Ink Pad, Jet Black
- Copic Markers
- ZIG Clean Color Pens
- Prismacolor Pencils
- Polychromos Pencils
- Inktense pencils
- Blending stumps
- Stencils: lots of mine are ancient but these are still available:
- Feathered Leaves, Altenew
- Leaf Frolic, Penny Black
- Petite BlossomsPenny Black
- I’ll make some stencils from dies too, like Skinny Stripes
- Tuscan Gold, Tonic Nuvo Expanding Mousse
- Ranger Texture Paste , Transparent Matte —- Transparent Gloss
- Tonic Nuvo Embellishment Mousse, Burnished Bronze
- Tonic Nuvo Dual Tipped Blender BrushPicket Fence Studios Life Changing Blender Brush – 6 Piece Fine, 4 Piece Broad, 2 Pack, full set
- Uni-ball Impact Gel Pen, White, Gold, Silve