Liquid Watercolor Comparisons
Watercolors that come in liquid form (not pans or tubes) aren’t new – but there are some new brands in the crafty world lately, and I wanted to show you some side-by-side comparisons. While it may be dissatisfying for some that I don’t have a strong “yes” or “no” on any of them, I do have some advice for you if you’re considering a purchase – scroll down for the rest of the post, as well as watching the video below (or click HERE to see it in HD on YouTube.
Avery Elle Liquid Watercolors
- 10 colors in 0.5-oz plastic bottles (same ones as many reinker bottles come in)
- Colors: nice range, a few strong colors, but a lot that are soft – thus no need to water down to get a light color.
- Great for introductory watercolor for sure – pick out a few colors and try your hand at watercolor.
Hero Arts Liquid Watercolors
- 8 colors in 0.5-oz glass bottles with droppers
- Colors: bold range, and includes one brown (can adapt it by adding yellow to make it warmer, etc)
- Great for mixing a wide range – try making one of THESE color charts , you’ll be impressed.
PhMartin Hydrus Watercolors
I’ve had these for a few years now, and still have LOTS of color left. See set breakdown HERE.
- 36 colors in 1-oz glass bottles.
- Colors: wide range, though there are lots of similar colors.
- Price point is lower than the other two per ounce – just over $8.50 (vs $10 or $12). But – then you then have a full oz of each color. So it’d depend on how much you plan to paint.
Here’s the side by side comparison of the four cards….
FYI The Art-Classes website went belly up yesterday. Don’t worry the content is still there, your account and classes still exist. But it just looks terrible and you can’t watch classes at the moment. Vienna is standing guard over there (okay she’s actually sleeping) til I find the guy in the far east who wrote the program and can fix it somehow. He’s never around when his plugin dies. waaahhhhhh!
Below are links to the supplies I’ve used for today’s project. Compensated affiliate links may used, which means if you make a purchase I receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. I truly appreciate your support toward the costs of running this blog! Read more.
- Avery Elle Liquid Watercolors:
- Hero Arts Liquid Watercolors:
- Dr. Ph. Martin’s Hydrus Fine Art Liquid Watercolors:
- Concord & 9th;
- Silver Brushes
- Arches Cold Press Paper
- Scotch Foam Mounting Tape
- Pokey Tool (Craft Pick!)