Tour: The Gallery Inn, Old San Juan, Puerto Rico
I promised a little report back soon after my trip – so here’s a downpayment! First, a tour of The Gallery Inn where I stayed. Below that, more info! Watch the video below or click HERE to see it in HD on YouTube.
I’m only beginning to think about planning – and I’ll update this post if things change up – or firm up!
- What: An artist retreat in Puerto Rico! The focus will be on sketching – with possibly some watercolor. The reason? It takes most of us forever to finish a watercolor painting, and by the time there’s some teaching time, too, we will get little done!
- Where: Old San Juan, Puerto Rico! No car needed, we’ll walk to locations nearby, and if we decide to do an outing we’ll arrange group transportation.
- When: January or February 2019, likely fly there on a Wednesday or Thursday and fly out Sunday, though you can plan to stay longer on your own to tour around more.
- Who: Anyone who is:
- interested in a trip where art is the focus
- has already taken my Drawing 101 class
- can handle stairs, walking, and a warm climate
- Cost: Unknown at this time. Fee for class time won’t be huge – my point in this retreat is to get more people to the island, and to have us all spend money with local businesses there. (We might have to try mofongo at every restaurant in town!) Use your favorite travel sites to estimate your airfare cost, and look up The Gallery Inn on them for a ballpark on price; they did say they do an artist discount for a trip like this. (Please don’t contact them to ask about it – I haven’t booked anything yet and calls will just confuse them! Assume full price and be happily surprised with whatever discount they might provide.)
- Miscellaneous details: I’ll add to this as other thoughts come up, too
- Renting a car isn’t required, though a taxi or Uber from the airport will be needed. The Gallery Inn has only 6 parking spaces.
- You needn’t speak Spanish to go on this trip, though learning a little before you go would be nice! I went knowing barely any Spanish and got along just fine; though I’ll be changing that for future trips!
- We’ll do a little sightseeing/shopping along the way, but the focus will be on creating. If you want to see things and take a lot of pictures, you may wish to stay longer, or skip some of the art sessions and go on tours. In fact if anyone wants to go along and NOT create art with us, I’m happy to fill up the Inn and support Jan’s business.
A sale and a look ahead
Ellen Hutson’s having a big sale this weekend….so to help you save a little on your craft supplies that you can put in the piggy bank for Puerto Rico, I’ve collected a list of stamps that are coming up on my blog/YT channel in the next month or two if you want to pick them up early. Note that some have been in my queue for ages waiting to be restocked – so if they’re in the shop now, it’s time to go get ’em! I try to juggle my posts so that the items I show are available for you at the time….but if y’all buy everything up this weekend, that may not happen too succinctly in June and July. LOL. Happy shopping!
Upcoming projects will use these items….
Below are links to some of the supplies I’ll be using for upcoming projects. Compensated affiliate links are used, which means if you make a purchase I receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. I truly appreciate your support toward the costs of running this blog! Read more.